- £85 (LCC Fee)
- £85 (Ext Fee)
- Tim Kirk (Teaching & Learning Consultant)
Suitable for: Subject Leaders, Teachers, NQTs
• To outline the content requirements for the arithmetic test for the end of the key stage and how these influence the teaching and learning of arithmetic for Years Five and Six.
• To identify the progression in arithmetic skills across Years Five and Six.
• To consider how the use of concrete apparatus, models and images can support the effective teaching of arithmetic.
• To discuss teaching approaches for developing children’s understanding, fluency, flexibility and decision making in the different elements of arithmetic.
Children’s ability to calculate efficiently using an appropriate strategy has always been an important skill, however, since the addition of the arithmetic paper into the tests at the end of each key stage, it has an increasingly raised profile.
Drawing on the key features of the arithmetic test, this course will support subject leaders and teachers with identifying a suite of strategies to enable children to calculate successfully in Years Five and Six.
It will identify the key elements of understanding and practical ideas to support learning. This will allow children not only to be competent and confident with calculations, but empower them to select an appropriate method of calculation when they are engaged in their mathematics.