Governor Skills Workshop: Effective school visits with challenging questions
£85 (LCC Fee)
£85 (Ext Fee)
Foundation; KS1; KS2; KS3; KS4; Post16
Anne Aspden (Presenter)
Andrew Marston (Governor Tutor)
Suitable for: Governors
School Visits provide an important opportunity for governors to see for themselves how the school is implementing their policies and improvement plans and how they are working in practice.
Using case studies, exercises and discussion, this workshop will develop governors’ knowledge and skills to focus and maximise learning from school visits so that they are better able to ask challenging questions to hold Executive Leaders to account.
The course will:
• Clarify the purpose of School Visits and Challenging Questions within the context of the Governing Board’s core functions.
• Identify the requirements of the Code of Conduct and the School’s policies & procedures and best practice for Visits to ensure that school visits are focussed on the Board’s priorities & improvement plans and how they are working
• Practise the skills of preparation, visits and feedback and reinforce the importance of Challenging Questions in holding Executive Leaders to account.
• Explore and practise a range of questioning techniques for different situations.
• Reinforce the links between insights gained through visits and robust accountability and challenging questions where necessary.
This course is for Governors only,unless stated. Schools that have bought into the Service Level Agreement will receive these courses for free as part of their package but will be charged £25 for non-attendance. Schools that have not bought into the SLA will be charged the full course fees as indicated.
If you have applied online and ticked to have your course acceptance sent via email, the email will be sent 4 weeks before the course, as well as a letter being sent to the your Schools' Portal. It is important that you inform LPDS if you are unable to attend a course to avoid the charge for non-attendance. .