- £185 (LCC Fee)
- £185 (Ext Fee)
|Foundation; KS1; KS2
- Lee Pimlott (School Adviser and LPDS Manager)
- Mike Thompson (Assessment Consultant)
Suitable for: Headteacher, Heads of Department, Subject Leaders, Teachers, NQTs, Teaching Assistants
• To provide participants with up to date thinking and knowledge of formative assessment
• To provide practical examples of effective formative assessment
One-day course presented by Shirley Clarke M.Ed., Hon. Doc
The Lancashire Assessment Team are delighted to offer the opportunity to attend this one day conference led by one of the country's leading Educational Experts in the area of formative assessment.
Shirley Clarke is an internationally known expert in formative assessment. She works with teams of teachers every year evaluating formative assessment strategies linked with research findings to evolve the practical applications of formative assessment. Her many publications and presentations have enabled teachers across the world to have access to research and practical tried and tested strategies. Her work has had a major influence on practice in schools across the UK and beyond.
A former primary teacher in England, Shirley went on to become a mathematics adviser, a test writer and then an academic at the Institute of Education, University of London, during which time she conducted a number national research projects looking at the impact of testing on teachers and students. She was awarded an honorary doctorate in 2007.
Shirley’s publications, with a number of translations, are worldwide best sellers because they combine research with practice in a tried and tested, accessible way. She has added to the support for teachers by capturing video of teachers in action, and now has over 140 high quality clips on her website video platform (www.shirleyclarke-education.org). Seeing formative assessment in action by excellent teachers is a powerful way of communicating its impact and use.
Recent best sellers:
Visible Learning: Feedback (2019) co-authored with John Hattie
Thinking Classrooms - metacognition lessons for primary schools (2018) co-authored with Katherine Muncaster
Outstanding Formative Assessment (2014) Shirley Clarke
The conference will feature:
• Formative Assessment – practice and culture
• Current research findings
• Cognitive Load Theory and ‘desirable difficulties’ with implications for teaching from cognitive science
• Whole school embedding
The Formative Assessment Jigsaw:
• A learning culture (self-efficacy, metacognition and the implications of cognitive science)
• Children as learning resources for one another (talk partners and peer learning)
• Learning intentions and success criteria
• Prior knowledge and the constant quest to uncover student understanding
• Feedback which is acted upon (in-lesson verbal having more impact than post-lesson marking)
Throughout the day there are exciting video clips of feedback in action across the age range plus opportunities for discussions, reflection and tasks. Handouts include selected resources and suggested action plans.
Due to demand places will fill up early so to avoid disappointment please book early! Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
**Subsequent delegates from the same school will be charged a reduced fee of £150 which will be discounted at the time of booking**